As much as we want to save extra money by going DIY with home improvement projects, there are many downfalls you may encounter which can cost you more than you first anticipated. Here are the top mistakes homeowners make.
1. DIY on advanced projects. There are many renovation projects that you are capable of fixing, however, some are just better left to the professionals. Major kitchen or bathroom remodeling consist of electrical, HVAC, or plumbing projects which looks doable, yet, professionals are trained for many years to make sure the job is done right without any hassle.
2. Reporting the problem late when they come up. When it comes to home improvement repairs, you should make sure to have the issue resolved as soon as you can. Any roof or HVAC system damaged, will only get worse as time goes on. Reduce your home repairment costs in the future and fix it now.
3. Hiring a pro over the phone. Believe it not; this still happens. With little research and no interview, would you be able to trust the contractor in your home for a couple of months? Are they qualified for the job? Can you work out a schedule with them? These are just some of the essential answers you need to find.
4. Hiring the cheapest contractor. Investing in home improvement projects can be expensive, but hiring the cheapest contractor can result in lower quality of work. When remodeling a room, you want to make sure the results will pay off. Get your job done right the first time.
5. Lack of communication. The key to an efficient and successful relationship with your contractor is to be clear right from the beginning. Excellent communication ensures all necessary details are aligned in the contract. You want to be on the right page with your contractor from start to finish.
6. Warranty. When making a significant investment, you should always make sure the warranty is written on the paperwork before signing anything. This will protect you if a problem occurs down the road.
7. Forgetting about the add-ons. If not researched properly, materials can easily add up and exceed your budget without you noticing. At Ipswich Bay Builders, we will walk you through step by step of our process, ensuring any necessities are manageable within your budget.